7 Screenwriting Tips To Help You Choose Perfect Character Names
John August is the screenwriter behind Go, Big Fish, Corpse Bride & more. He’s also half of the dynamic duo behind the popular Script Notes podcast. He’s also behind one of the most popular screenwriting websites on the web (johnaugust.com).
XTRA SPARK | The Top 25 Screenwriting Blogs
In a recent podcast (Episode 151: Secrets & Lies), John detailed 7 helpful tips when naming characters. I’ve included them below along with several related posts from his website. Selecting the perfect name is crucial when you’re developing a character’s identity. John August is here to help. Check out the resources. Then write!
7 Tips To Help You Choose Perfect Character Names
by John August
1. Pick different first letters for character’s names. (ex: John, Jim, James etc…)
2. Pick a different number of characters in names. (ex: Tom, Ben etc…)
3. Pick names that sound different. (ex: Gene vs John)
4. Avoid names that are semantically similar. (ex: Rose, Tupil etc…)
5. Try to avoid gender ambiguity in character names. (ex: Robin)
6. Use diverse names. (ex: Bill & Sangeet)
7. Save names for people who actually need names.
More Character Tips From John August:
Cut A Character Save A Scene | John August
How To Introduce A Character | John August
Choosing Character Names | John August
When A Character Has Two Names | John August
Characters With Multiple Names | John August
Character CAPS | John August
Five Tests To See If Your Character’s Voice Is Working | No Film School
XTRA SPARK | The Best Screenwriting Podcasts
SPARK GUIDE | Name Libraries